Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Watch

The Watch

A Timex
A brown Timex Expedition
With the faux leather strap

It is old, perhaps ten years
Perhaps more
It is in the pictures when my last child is born

It is very old
The brown strap is gone, long ago
The replacement strap has broken, finally
The next band will not stay in place
The face is scratched
I cannot tell seven from one
It still works, wakes me up every morning at 5

It is time for a new watch

The Mall

The Kiosk
My wife has decided
It is time for a new watch
She will treat me
There are four sides to the Kiosk
Scores of watches in displays
Revolving displays for the cheaper brands

I browse
I walk in circles
I revolve about the Kiosk
I cannot decide

DECIDE!
I don't have all day!

I orbit the kiosk

What about this one?
No, I can't have a face watch
My life is ruled by appointments
15 minute appointments
All day

I need PRECISION!
I need to SEE the numbers!

So you want digital
There are many choices

DECIDE!

I am orbiting faster now

It will not be found in the display cases
Those are too expensive
Why pay for $200 watch that doesn't have any numbers?
I am not ornate
I don't want a piece of jewelry

THE MALL WILL CLOSE SOON!

Look at the little revolving displays
You can choose
Cascio or Timex?

There are numbers
Many features

I don't need these features!
I don't go diving!
This watch will never see 20 fathoms!

Although I do the dishes...

THEY ARE ALL WATERPROOF!

I don't need seven stopwatch settings
I don't need four time-zones

What about this one? It looks nice
Where is the date?
Here, 21, don't you see it
Yes, but what month?

Do you mean to tell me that you graduated medical school but you don't know what month it is??

Don't you understand?
My life is ruled by appointments
I look at my watch all day
I write notes and prescriptions all day
I look at my watch and write the date each time
8/21/09
I NEED THE MONTH!

FINE! CHOOSE! DECIDE!

I don't like the Cascios
These Timex watches are too expensive
$70 for a watch?
I don't need 5 different alarms

Wait

What's this?

A Timex
A brown Timex Expedition
With a faux leather strap

Perfect

A shake of the head.

He'll take it.

14 comments:

Doctor Bean said...

Just use your phone, like everyone else.

Eli said...

I think I also just bought that watch. Although, they've updated the thing a bit since my last Timex Expedition watch, in ways that I find continually annoying. Oh well, I guess that's progress.

PsychoToddler said...

We geeks all think alike. Occasionally I see a patient wearing the same watch, and I nod knowingly. It's like a secret handshake.

Erachet said...

I also need a watch. Maybe I should write a poem about it, too! :P

PsychoToddler said...

In hindsight I think that this is actually a Dr. Seuss book. Oh well.

Shira Salamone said...

Doctor Bean, he can't use his cell phone all the time. He'd have to remove it too often from his Bat-Utility Belt. :)

QuietusLeo said...

That is a great watch, I once had one too!
Great doctors think a like. ;P
Dr. Bean, we retro grouches would never stoop so low as to rely in a mere cellular phone in lieu of a quality time piece. ;PP

trn said...

I really liked this. The return of the lines from the beginning near the end was especially poignant.

Anonymous said...

I feel nostalgic...........again



AMSHINOVER

Tzafra said...

I am commenting solely to tell you that I'm now blogging with this username at http://www.machshavaumachshavim.blogspot.com.

And...yay, you got a new watch?

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting to hear if the Tailor of Glendale is still alive!

Rafiki said...

My cohost and I have the exact same cell phone.

Bob Miller said...

Interestingly, I had to repair my Timex Expedition's replacement band last night with Krazy Glue.

Nancy said...

I like your post! In fact I love it! I could relate with it !!

This is Nancy from Israeli Uncensored News