Powered by WebAds

Friday, December 14, 2007

Blogworthy

I see the spaces stretching out between posts and I wonder if I should be blogging more often. I wonder if Psychotoddler has Jumped the Shark (answer: yes, probably around the time Cro Magnon Man appeared--the appearance of a pre-historic character is always a harbinger of Shark Jumping).

The truth is that there are a lot of things I'd love to blog about, but that Psycho Toddler has become a victim of its own success, and now I have to bite my tongue a bit more because the events or people I'd really like an outlet to blog about will probably end up reading what I write (and getting pissed off).

Then I think, maybe I should just write something just to keep up with it, but I get into the dilemma of trying to figure out just what is blogworthy. Sure, early on I could write about a drug chotchke or what I had for lunch and get away with it.

But now, if a week goes by between postings, is it really worth anyone's effort to read about the fact that I badly need a haircut (which would, to be fair, be the sum and total of the post)? Or that we ran out of Cheerios last week and I almost exploded? Or that my Griffin Tuneflex broke and I went through iPod withdrawal, but their tech support was awesome and they sent me a new one? Or that when the box for a new Webcam asserts that it can get "up to 30 frames per second", what it really means is "1 or 2." Or the fact that one of my patients gave me an itunes card and I used it for...The Best of Men at Work?

In Medicine we have this acronym "TKO" which refers to a token trickle of IV fluid used "To Keep Open" a vein so that the IV doesn't get clogged off even though you really don't have anything to put through it.

I'd hate to think this blog needs TKO posting.

15 comments:

MoChassid said...

Or you could do what I do...

fudge said...

i face this dilemma sometimes myself, and i think the answer is yes. here's why.

perhaps there are literary critics somewhere who read your blog so they may bask in its chabonesque wordplay, witty repartees and philosophical musings. perhaps they will be disappointed by your haircut posts and therefore forced to return to their regularly daily activities, which no doubt consist of frowning a lot and being no fun.

however, everyone knows the real point of blogging is not to initiate thought-provoking discussions about the quirkiness of life, but to provide stalkers with up-to-date information about your life so that they don't feel out of the loop. for instance, just reading that little blurb about the cheerios nearly made me feel home again.

i go through this a lot with people i make regular phone calls to - a friend that i am determined to keep up with, or grandpa david. i don't always have wildly exciting things to report, and neither do they. one week, my friend's biggest breakthrough was that she got a new frying pan. but rather than just TKOing our relationship, these little things are what keep us feeling connected to each other. they are the tiny human details that everyone needs and can relate to.

particularly stalkers.

cruisin-mom said...

fudge: you are too funny :)
Personally, I think "the haircut and cheerio" posts are the best. Keep posting...if you don't, then you'll have what happened to me...I stopped posting consistently for months, and now I only get a few comments...so now, I have to do shameless plugs all over the blogosphere again...do not let this happen to you

PsychoToddler said...

Good point.

Notice how I didn't mention about how I took ____ to see _____ despite the very noticable loss of brain cells that it caused.

See? My posts are starting to resemble Mad-Libs.

Miriam L said...

I would think the "best of" Men at Work would be a single.

wanderer said...

Who can it be now?

RaggedyMom said...

I can relate, except for the whole "victim of its own success" aspect. I don't know what to write about lately, and the whole kids/food thing is wearing itself out!

Doctor Bean said...

Safety Dance. Oh, no. That's Men Without Hats.

It sounds like you need a new, really anonymous blog where you can vent about all the people who read this blog. Hmmm... Maybe you already have one, though. What are you writing about me?

cruisin-mom said...

the best of Men at Work? They had more than one song?

PsychoToddler said...

Well you sure are a funny kid, johnny...but I like you!

So tell me...What kind of a boy are you, john?

wanderer said...

Is Vege-mite kosher?

Jack's Shack said...

but that Psycho Toddler has become a victim of its own success, and now I have to bite my tongue a bit more because the events or people I'd really like an outlet to blog about will probably end up reading what I write (and getting pissed off).

That never stopped you in the past. ;)

Ralphie said...

Come on, what did you go see?

Foust said...

Dont think of it as TKO blogging, think of it as an opportunity to experiment with new methods of communication using the high-tech internet tools of the future!

therapydoc said...

You're a DOCTOR, PT, (I'm always telling FD this) just teach us something. Anything. We love that.