Powered by WebAds

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Workout DVD #1: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Let's be honest. Exercise is boring. I'm sure I'm not shocking anybody with this revelation. Yes, I know my wife is an aerobics instructor. Good for her. For me and just about everyone else I know, the thought of jumping around, or running in place, or pedaling non-stop for thirty to forty minutes is almost as interesting as watching paint dry. Except more painful.

Over the years I've tried to come up with some other activity to link to my exercise. Reading absolutely didn't work. I had a hard time using headphones on the treadmill. If I could figure out a way to play video games and work out, I'd do it (and I could probably make millions marketing it).

So I've settled for watching movies. I love movies. I love my DVDs. But lately I've felt that sitting on the couch and watching TV is a waste of my time. I'd much rather do something interactive. Even blogging is more interactive, but again, hard to do on an exercise bike. So after I got my HDTV, I made a very firm decision to link my movie watching with my exercise. I've got the bike setup right in front, and I have committed not to watch any movies unless I am pedaling.

This has worked remarkably well for me. When people ask if I look forward to exercising, I say, "Of course not!" But I do look forward to watching my movies, and I won't do that unless I'm on the bike. And now what happens is that when I do sit down to watch, some of my kids pull up chairs and watch with me. They get upset with me because when my workout session is over, I stop the movie, ready to pick it up again the next night. But it does create a sense of "cliffhanging." So I have even more of an incentive to keep up with it, because every day they nag me, "What time are you going to exercise? I want to watch more "Lord of the Rings"!" It also limits what we watch to things that are suitable for ages 10 and up, generally not a problem for me anyway.

For a while I have been meaning to make a little blog series on "Workout DVDs", following the movies we've been watching. I'm a little late getting going with this, but what the heck.

These past few weeks we've gone through "The Two Towers" and "Lawrence of Arabia." I just borrowed the "Indiana Jones Collection" from a friend, and we're two nights into "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

I don't need to say much about this movie. If you don't know anything about it, then you've been living in a cave in Afghanistan for the last 26 years and you're probably not reading this blog anyway.

However, I will say that it contains what I consider to be one of the top 10 best scenes in movie history:

It got me wondering, what exactly are the top 10 scenes in movie history? I'm sure everybody has their own list. I'd probably include the scene in "Planet of the Apes" with Chuck Heston and the Statue of Liberty. And that scene in "Scarface" where Pacino utters his infamous "Say hello to my leedle friend," or Dirty Harry's "Make my day."

What are your top 10 scenes?

19 comments:

Ralphie said...

Play video games while exercising, you say?

PsychoToddler said...

I wasn't talking about playing space invaders. I meant if I could play the types of games that I enjoy and exercise at the same time that would be awesome.

I realize there are some "workout games" out there where you have like a virtual personal trainer or you have to dance on a mat, but that all seems like work to me, and I would have no interest in playing those games anyway.

The Wii is interesting, because you need to get up and move around alot to play even basic games, but I think I'd get tired of that quickly.

Ralphie said...

I know, I know. But still.

Simon said...

I won't be able to think of 10 top scenes straight off, but here's a few:

The Marx Brother's mirror scene in "Duck Soup"
In "Casablanca", when the Nazis are singing some Nazi marching song and Victor Laszlo gets everyone else in the bar to drown them out by singing the Marsellaise
The scene in "The Parent Trap" (the 1990s version) where the two girls discover that they're twin sisters
The duel in "The Princess Bride". In fact, all of "The Princess Bride".

RaggedyMom said...

I have to think about this for a bit longer, but off the top of my head,

The last 10 minutes of Dr. Zhivago had both me and RaggedyDad (shh!) bawling manically.

Some of the more memorable classroom scenes in Dead Poet's Society.

Ezzie said...

I think I've said this one before here, but from the Ten Commandments:

"I shall come him Moses, for I drew him from the water!!"

muse said...

I need the right music to exercise, sort of like Pavlov's dogs.
Movies are for folding/sorting laundry and crocheting hats.

Abbi said...

Have you seen this?

Wii Sports Experiment

My husband is considering getting this as a motivation for exercising.

Jack's Shack said...

Raiders- that scene makes me smile every time.

Shifra said...

I love the escape sequence from "The Shawshank Redemption" I feel like I'm literally holding my breath and gagging with him as he makes his way out the sewers and then when he gets out into the rain you feel that too.

Also "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." May not be the best movie scene ever, but it never gets old for me.

Soccer Dad said...

Kh - a - a - a - n.

Binyamin said...

I love the history behind the scene you show from "Raiders". Apparently there was supposed to be a long detailed fight scene between the swordsman and Indy using his whip, but Harrison Ford had been sick with food poisoning and didn't feel like doing the scene and suggested he just shoot the guy and get it over with.

Jewish Blogmeister said...

PT, Now when will you get your kids exercise bikes? I can just see you guys now pedaling together to top gun...

Elie said...

Wow, great question. There are way too many to list but here are a few off the bat:

1) Your Raiders scene, definitely.

2) "Back to the Future" climax, mainly the last minute before the lightning strike with the car speeding up and Doc sliding down the rope.

3) "Jaws" climax, "Smile, you son-of-a-"... BLAM!!!

4) "Superman II" climax, especially when Lois punches out Ursa.

5) "The Empire Strikes Back" the "I am your father" scene. OK, I know this has become the ultimate cliche. But watch the scene pretending you never saw it before and that the line was actually a revelation. Unbelievably powerful.

6) TWOK, I like the scene David lists but my personal favorite is Khan's speech starting with "He tasks me!"

7) "Silence of the Lambs", when Starling is looking for the killer and the lights suddenly go out.

8) And for a change of pace, "The Frisco Kid" almost every scene, but to pick one, when he dances with the Indians singing "Or Zarua Latzadik".

renaissanceman said...

A. Nba playoffs+treadmill=skinny
B. The scene in "Return of the King" when they look over the wall at saurons army, and see the row of massive oliphants approaching.

Ralphie said...

Isn't there a scene in one of the Indy sequels where he tries to do that again, but he's out of bullets or something?

elie: here's a hilarious take on that Empire scene. And, yes, that's really Mark Hamil's voice.

~ Sarah ~ said...

i need to catch up on my movies to answer that question but we recently attached a dvd player to the tv in front of the treadmill :)

Holy Hyrax said...

Fiddler on the Roof.

"Golde, don't get me angry. When I get angry, flies don't dare to fly"

Anonymous said...

If you're going to workout while watching movies, I highly suggest turning the bike to face away from the TV and putting on Spider Man 3. Seriously though, working out doesn't have to be boring at home. DVDs like Mind and Body Workout focus more on core strength and breathing and less redundant "Jumping Jack nonsense".