Powered by WebAds

Monday, March 19, 2007

Ready for Prime Time

The blog that Aidel Maidel and I have been working on, Jewish Blog Definitions, is now up and running and ready to be linked to.

If you haven't been following the daily trials and tribulations of this little project, allow me to summarize:

It began life as an informal list of terms culled from my own posts, as I realized that not all of my readers were frummies or even yidden who were familiar with all the yeshivishe loshon. As time went by people asked me to keep adding terms to it, so eventually I moved it to Wikipedia which I figured to be a good location for a collaborative project like this. The thought being that anyone who wanted to add to it or adjust it could just do so. Aidel Maidel merged her own list into mine and has been putting a lot of work into it in general.

So everyone thought the Wikipedia thing was a good idea except the Lords of Wikipedia, who deleted it with one fell swoop (the keyboard is mightier than the pen) since it wasn't technically an encyclopedia article.

I then moved it to my own blog and was subjected to lots of requests and criticism until AM had the brilliant idea to just make a separate group blog that could be indexed.

So there it is. If you're interesting in becoming a contributor, just email me or AM. And I have also set it up so that if you link to it, you'll get an automatic link back.

10 comments:

AidelMaidel said...

you deserve most of the credit PT, you've done almost all the hard work. I just had the brilliant idea...

Eli said...

Any reason why a wiki not on Wikipedia wouldn't have worked? It's typically not so difficult to implement on a website.

PsychoToddler said...

Yes, the reason is because I don't know how to do that. If you know how to convert the blog to a wiki, you're welcome to help out.

ilan said...

Yeah, to echo Eli's point - we could set up such a site in less than 30 minutes. Anyone want to try doing it that way...?

I just set this up, as an example.
Drop me a line if you want to try this out. Or, I guess you could just go in there and start playing around. Everything is editable, pretty much.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I heard it was coming very good work.

PsychoToddler said...

Ilan: I like the current format with the posts broken up by letter (rather than having to scroll the entire list).

If you are interesting in converting those posts over to a wiki format (and if the Wiki Gods won't find out and shut it down) then email me and I'll add you to the blog.

PsychoToddler said...

I meant "if you are interested".

I'm sure you're interesting.

ilan said...

What you want to do (break things up by letter) is fairly easy on the site I showed you. I don't know who dumped all of the definitions together onto the front page, but ideally, we would split each definition into another page, or we could have one page for every letter - however you want it - PLUS I wouldn't need to be added to the blog, as the wiki is editable by anyone, and not connected to the blog. Oh, and the domain it's hosted on is my own, with no connection to wikipedia and its gods except the underlying (free) software. So no trouble there either. I don't have time right now, but if anyone out there wants to give it a shot, go ahead and edit it.

PsychoToddler said...

I don't have time to work on the wiki (and your page loads very slowly for me), but I'd keep everything on the same page and use subheadings for letters and organize them into a table of contents or a link bar up top.

Shira Salamone said...

Alternative, meaning Sefardi, pronunciations would be nice.

Yishar koch'chem to both of you for your hard work. This'll save me some head-scratching. :)