Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Bagel Parts

Have I mentioned how much I love the J-Blogosphere? Yes? Well, anyway...

One of the things I love about it is the way that it enables people with different backgrounds to come together and learn something from each other. People who would never meet or speak in the real world can suddenly interact with each other in a meaningful way.

A Chossid in a Shtreimel in Milwaukee can now collaborate with prospective convert in Australia on a website dedicated to Torah. I really wish the Agudah could see this and tell me why the blogosphere should be forbidden.

But anyway, you may have noticed an addition to my sidebar for the last several weeks directing you to a website called Parsha Parts. This site is run by a dear friend of mine here in Milwaukee, who wears a Shtreimel (but I won't hold that against him), and who is a fascinating individual in his own right. Maybe one day we'll coax him into telling the story of his journey to frumkeit, but until then, it may interest some of you to know that he was the keyboard player in an earlier iteration of the Moshe Skier Band, and wrote one of my favorite MSB songs, Ki Vo Yismach Libenu. And no, I'm not going to tell you why he left the band. To quote the great Del Paxton, "Ain't no way to keep a band together. Bands come and go. You gotta keep playin', no matter with who. "

Parsha Parts started off as one of those leaflet publications that would get handed out in shuls on Friday nights many years ago, but disappeared after a while. With this New Year, he has restarted it, and added an internet version as well. I encourage you all to take a look at the site and sign up for the newsletter (and consider supporting it financially if you wish).

I agreed to help promote the site (well, as much as a link from psychotoddler can be called promotion), but the image he gave me to use as an icon was a bit of an eyesore.



I guess in the pre-blogosphere days we would have just left it alone, or maybe seen if one of our amateur artist friends was interested in playing around with it.

But all I had to do was look around the J-Blogosphere, and ask nicely. And Bagel Blogger responded. If you want to know a little about the Bagel Blogger, check out this great interview here. He and his wife Baleboosteh have been tremendous additions to the J-Blogosphere, and I think they'll make tremendous additions to the Jewish People when they get signed up for the program. BB (as I like to call him) did a terrific job on not only the icon for this site, but he went above and beyond the call of duty by redesigning the masthead on Parsha Parts as well. So if you have some graphic art needs, please consider hiring him!

2 comments:

Tzuriel said...

WOW Such top billing I don't know what to say.

Thanks for the help doc and BB, you let me know if I can return the favor somehow!

Neil Harris said...

Great post! I checked the online publication last week after seeing it on your blog.