Powered by WebAds

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Knob Covers


Amp missing Doohicky


Closeup of missing doohicky

Musicians who play gigs know that a hazard of shlepping amplifiers in cars is that sometimes they don't make it back home all in one piece. At particular risk are the knobs or the knob covers that seem to disappear forever into mysterious places. You can go through the trunk of your car with a bloodhound and a magnifying glass and you'll never figure out where that little doohicky went.


Doohicky

Someone who is all too familiar with this (and maybe a little too unhealthily fixated on it) is my friend David Margulis, who is the very talented bass player for Chicago's Jewish Jam Band, Even Sh'siyah. So disturbed was he by the missing volume knob cap on my amp when I stayed at his house (for a gig with Piamenta) that he immediately grabbed a spare whatsitz (he had the same amp) and stuck it on mine.


Amp with Whatsitz restored

Now, this blissful state of completeness did not last very long, and I soon found myself asking for any other spare parts he could...spare. He was out, unfortunately, and so for the longest time I've been afraid to turn various settings on my amp because I couldn't tell what they were. Until I received a surprise package in the mail last week. From my email with David:

David:

I don’t know if you remember: I think about a year ago I asked if you had any more of those knob covers for the GK 400RB and you told me to contact the company.

I did at the time and got a nice email from a lady there saying they didn’t have any.

Today I got 8 of them in the mail!




Gmar Chatima Tova!

Mark


Mark,

Wow! 8 knobs during the Aseres Yemai Hatshuva is a real segula! Kabbalistically, knobs are a siman of 'control', whether it is compression, overdrive, or our yetzer hara. The bottom line is we have to be master of our own neshmas.

Of course, the number eight is one more than seven, which represents the natural world. Therefore, eight represents the supernatural. So, we see that with these eight knobs you can exert control over yourself in this world in order to acquire the next.

That's the best I can do right now. Please feel free to riff on it.

G'mar chasima tova!

David


15 comments:

motomama said...

Do they have covers that go to 11?

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

drat! motomama stole my line!

Chana said...

Whoa. You don't even live in Israel!

When my husband gets home, I'm going to ask him if he needs any. ;)

Shifra said...

Geez I was going to say something about going to 11 as well.
Are we all getting predictable in our old age?

PsychoToddler said...

Why should it go to 11? Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a litte louder?

Chana: He can't have any!

It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE!! GO GO GO!! MINE MINE MINE!!!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Cool good for you, enjoy them:)

Nati said...

thankyouthankyouthankyou for including the link to the sound clip!

PsychoToddler said...

Thank Google!

Shira Salamone said...

Just to be different, I'm going to have fun commenting on your language. (Don't worry--there's no tsk-tsking involved. :) ) One of the great amusements of being a French major studying in France some 30 years ago was discovering that every language has words for things for which we don't know, or have forgotten, the names. The words that I learned in French French over 30 years ago (I'll let TuesdayWishes,Tzipster91, or TorontoPearl handle the current Canadian French versions) were "bidule," "machin" (no e), and "truc." In American English, you've already posted "doohickey" and "whatsit." I can think of a few others: "thingamabob," "thingie," "whatchamacallit," "whatchacallit," and "doodad." There are probably a few others that I've forgotten. So here's one for the Hebrew-speakers: What are the Hebrew words for "thingamajigs?" :)

Anonymous said...

The Hebrew word would be "chupchik" (as in the chupchick on the kumkum....

Safranit said...

That anonymous was me!

Chana said...

LOL!! Not even one??

I have to say that thingamabob and whatchamacallit are for more descriptive and creative!

Kiwi the Geek said...

PT, I think you need to get acquainted with super glue. Then you won't be losing all your marb-- I mean, knobs.

Why won't Blogger let me write in strikeout?

PsychoToddler said...

Shira: I think you left out chachke.

Safranit: I once had a chupchick on the kumkum. Very painful.

Chana: I was going for the more technical terms. Tell your slacker husband to get his own chmelnieks! Tzdaka starts at home, baby!

Oops. Chmelnieks aren't knob covers. They are the whoosits that you screw onto the stands to stick the microphones into.

Kiwi. I am well acquainted with super glue, thankyouverymuch.

Shira Salamone said...

For the record, chachke is Yiddish, but I'd take one of those, too, to go with the half-dozen whoosits. And you can throw in a couple of chmelnieks, too, while you're at it--maybe they'll fix my dead CDR and DVD drives. I am sorry about that chupchick in the kumkum, though.

:) :) :)