Powered by WebAds

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Found a Job

I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad job." Sure, there are plenty of things you can do for a living that are unpleasant. But whether a job is "good" or "bad" has more to do with your attitude towards it than any specific property of the job itself.

And when discussing first jobs, they are all good, because really, what you get out of your first job isn't money, but experience. It's something no one can give you, that you can't learn in school. Having a boss, being responsible, and bringing home that first paycheck. You have to experience this yourself to really understand it and make it a part of your being.

I think back to my first jobs. Working for my Dad in the store, marking up merchandise, running the cash register. Making change (yes, I can make change). Then setting up and working at the Video Store later on.

Working in the Operating Room at Long Island Jewish, stocking the carts and wheeling patients around.

Waiting tables at a camp in Israel.

Working for a used auto dealer. Shoveling up after the guard dogs at the beginning of the day.

I learned from each of these jobs and grew as a whole. What I learned from that last job was that I was glad that I had been accepted to medical school.

So I'm really excited to learn that my daughter Fudge, a sophomore at Stern College, found a job.

14 comments:

Shifra said...

No such thing as a bad job?!
Oooh I disagree - I've had a few for sure.

Once as a teenager I had a job which consisted of me spending all my Fridays in a large (closed) closet making copies of blue prints.

The good part was I was high all the time so the day went by really fast! The bad part was I smelled like ammonia all weekend and was pretty dizzy when I had to bike home - resulting in at least one biking accident that I can remember.

Tell me doctor - is breathing in blueprint chemicals all day bad for you?

PsychoToddler said...

Shifra, what are you talking about?? That sounds like a GREAT job. At least you weren't making like the Poopsmith in a hot used auto lot all summer.

I don't know much about blueprint ink, but I recall as a kid we all used to hang out by the mimeograph machine in the school office sniffing the fumes. Mmmmm.....blue ink fumes....

Other marc said...

You were a waiter at S'dei Chemed too?

PsychoToddler said...

Yep, in 1982. What a great summer that was.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I agree it's what you do with the job and how you handle it. If you get a real moron as a co-worker then it can be a lousy job. I have a real moron who I have to share my office with the whole day.

wanderer said...

My first job was as a paper boy. Now I'm a doctor.

I miss riding my bike around and tossing newspapers at my neighbours...

PsychoToddler said...

Who's stopping you?

Other marc said...

I sent you an email. I was a waiter at S'dei Chemed as well in '83 and had been a camper in '81.

I remember hiking up Masada with a crate of chocolate kuchen on my shoulder!

Shira Salamone said...

In one of my earliest jobs, I had the dubious privilege of mixing preservatives into grated cheese--by hand--at an Italian-food packing plant. (Kashrut did not become an issue for me until years later.) By the time the vacationing "regulars" returned to work and all of us temps were let go, I had a rash on both arms up to my elbows, at least.

In another early job, I folded linens and curtains in a discount store all day, and developed a rash on my hands from the fiberglass in the curtains.

In my first or second full-time permanent job as an adult, working as a clerk/typist, I noticed that the rash on my hands become progressively worse as the week wore on--and disappeared over the weekend. I didn't have to be an Einstein to figure out that I was sensitive to carbon paper.

What did I learn from these jobs?

(a) Don't trust chemical additives in food. If they can do that to a person's *outside,* imagine what they can do to a person's *inside!* To this day, I won't touch grated cheese with preservatives in it.

(b) Figerglass can be detrimental to the health of one's skin.

(c) Carbon paper? Goodby and good riddance! (Ahem--for those of you under 30 who may not have any idea what I'm talking about . . .

(d) Last but not least, I realize, in retrospect, that I should have become a dermatologist. I could have made a killing from people like me! :) :) :)

Mazal tov and best of luck to Fudge!

PsychoToddler said...

I remember hiking up Masada with a crate of chocolate kuchen on my shoulder!

Big deal. I had to carry a sack full of cantelopes.

kasamba said...

Mazal tov on your daughter becoming a part of the work force!!!

My Dad always told me not to expect to like a job. He always said that's why they call it 'work' and not 'fun'.

cruisin-mom said...

Congrats to Fudge. My first job was baby sitting...I'd put the kids to bed, and sit and eat all the food in the house and watch t.v. Hmmmmm...I still have that job.

Halfnutcase said...

we where still using carbon paper in the ninties, albiet not for very long.

i used to love playing with that stuff.

(btw only jobs i've had are babysitting and now tutoring)

Jack's Shack said...

I can think of a few jobs that I wish that I had never had. Oy vey.