Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Too Many Videogames?

For the past few weeks, my chevrusa and I have been trying to get through this very long sugia (section of Talmud) in Bava Metziah. It spans three or four pages and is a series of arguments, proofs and comparisons where each one springs off of the one preceding it and there is no good place to stop.

For several weeks, we tried to get from the beginning to the end but never made it. The following week, we would try to pick up where we left off, but it was so complex that we invariably found ourselves starting over. As you can imagine, this became somewhat frustrating. The good news was that each week we got a little faster at it, so that we incrementally made it farther and farther into the sugia with each try.

This week we reached the "two dots", signifying the end of the sugia.

"Finally," I said, "a
SAVE POINT!"

My chevrusah was not amused.

3 comments:

Jack's Shack said...

It'd be nice if life gave us a way to stop and save what we are doing.

dilbert said...

I am impressed. My chavrusa and I usually pick up where we left off, whether I understand it or not. Luckily, he does. I just ask a few stoopid questions and he shakes his head, and vitur. Only 148 more daf to the siyyum.....

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Keep shteiging that's all that matters.