Powered by WebAds

Monday, March 06, 2006

DVD Commentary

There are two kinds of people in this world:

The kinds of people who listen to the commentary tracks on DVDs, and the kinds who don't. Which are you?

I love to listen to the commentary. I almost prefer it to the actual dialogue. That probably has something to do with the fact that I love to think about how things work. I remember that after each Star Wars film, they would release a little "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" or some such, which was really a little PR deal for the film, but I was always fascinated by these extra bits. I loved watching them make and then blow up the little models, I loved watching the guy walk around the set in the giant snowman suit with sneakers, etc.

When I listen to music, I almost can't hear a coherent piece. I have to break it down to individual instruments--there is the bass, and that's a horn part. Then I think about how I would play it, or how I would assemble the pieces, and I regard film in the same way.

So I love hearing all the little inside bits of information about why the director or writer or actor chose to do this, or decided not to do that. Or why there is a big "Blue Sun" emblem on that shipping crate in that scene of "Firefly."

Mrs. B, on the other hand, will not stand for it and makes me turn it off. So I guess opposites really do attract.

15 comments:

Mrs. Balabusta said...

Ok, here's the thing, when I watch the show, I want to see the show, not some people talking about the show and what they had for lunch that day.

After I have seen the show, I don't mind hearing about lunch...

Robbie said...

I generally like to watch the show/movie one time all the way through as is, and then watch with the commentary the second time, so I know what I'm missing while they talk about that lunch.

PsychoToddler said...

Oh, of course. I always listen to the dialogue track first. But when I rewatch the movie (say, on my exercise bike with my extremely small TV screen), I like to listen to commentary.

Right now I'm listening to the commentary for the first season of Battlestar Galactica, and it just makes me so much more a fan of that series, because you can tell that what's on the screen is good for a reason. These people really care about their craft.

With Firefly, I've enjoyed listening to the commentary of actors Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk, and they are constantly making cracks about each other during the show. At one point, Tudyk comments about the "magic 3 switches" on the console above his flight seat. No matter what has to be done, he always flips the same 3 switches--hail the enemy ship--flip the 3 switches. Engage emergency power--same three switches. All sci-fi shows have done the same thing, but it's great to hear the actors talk about it.

Doctor Bean said...

There are two kinds of people in the world. People who divide the world into two kinds of people, and people who don't.

PsychoToddler said...

Ooooh, it took a whole four comments for someone to come up with that very obvious line!

cruisin-mom said...

P.T.: Rumor has it, that listening to the commentary on a plasma, wide screen t.v. is even better and more meaningful.

Jack's Shack said...

I prefer the organic movie.

PsychoToddler said...

CM: So true...

Jack: My wife doesn't let me watch those kinds of movies.

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

if i had a DVD i would.

ball-and-chain said...

I despise all commentary, "making of" and other additional features. I want to believe that what I see on the screen is real. I also avoid award ceremonies and actor interviews for a similar reason. Although, the fact that all actors are commie-pinkos doesn't help.

Sweettooth120 said...

The grass is always greener on the other side, but when you really get to see up close and personal the other side, you will see that their lives isn't all that is appears to be.

Whenever I start to feel this way, I just take a trip up to NY and see my old college friends. I always return home feeling that my life is quite successful.

Sweettooth120 said...

Oops, I published the previous comment under the wrong post.

As for the DVD, my husband is the kind who likes to watch all the nifty features. I will occassionally, but it has to be really compelling.

parcequilfaut said...

I usually like commentary, but sometimes it's lame. It depends on who's doing it.

I wish CDHSarah would come over and hook up my DVD player again so I could watch some commentary.

Stephen said...

I can't get enough of commentaries...but my wife only likes the 'making-of' featurettes, and my personal movie-watching time (i.e. just me and the remote) is almost non-existtent. But I love her. :)

Anonymous said...

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary and those that dont:)Brad