Powered by WebAds

Thursday, February 02, 2006

I Heart My Referers (sic)

Links. Blogrolls. Whatever you call them. That list of blogs over on the right side there. I've always liked to link to the people who frequent this site, as kind of a way of being a good neighbor, a member of a community, and just to say thanks for stopping by and spending some time here. Just to have a laugh and sing a song. Seems we just get started, and before you know it---whoa, sorry about the Carol Burnett attack.

Some people are very serious about their blogrolls and have rigid criteria for who gets on and who is removed. I've been more relaxed about it. Sure, back in the day when I was hand-coding each link, there were much fewer of them. But now-a-days it's not so time intensive. Basically if you hang around here, and comment, and I don't hate your site, you'll get a link back from me. Or if I really like your site anyway (wink wink, Strong Bad), you'll get a gratuitous link. Also if you send me money or presents.

Trouble is, I'm not always sure who is really hanging out here. And sometimes people come by for a few days, leave a bunch of comments, and then leave. And I never see them again. They...they don't write...what, they can't pick up a phone once in a while...?

I-I'm getting off topic. Basically, I rarely remove links, so I like to make sure people are going to be around for a while before I sign them up. And also, I don't get around to doing blogroll maintenance all that often.

So as a substitute, a booby-prize if you will, I've had a referer (sic) list. (BTW I don't really know what (sic) means, but I see it all the time, so I figured I'd put it in (ibid)). Referrer is usually spelled with 4 r's not 3, but it was misspelled in the HTML language, and so we are stuck with it. A referer is a site that just sent a visitor to your site. Anyway, there are several tools for tracking referers and displaying a list of them on your site. So if you link to Psycho Toddler, and you click over here relatively frequently, you get an automatic link back on this site.

The first program I used was Truefresco, which was actually on an art site that had a little feature that helped people track their referers for free. But it soon got overloaded, and started requiring registration and charging money, so I dropped it like a hot potato. Then I signed up for referer.org, which I'm still using, and for a while, many of you may have noticed links back to your blogs or specific posts. In fact, that was how I first found out I was nominated for the JIB awards, by seeing a link to the nominating post there.

So, if I haven't gotten around to adding you to my blogroll, don't take it personally. You can still get an automatic link under my referer list. And if you hang around long enough, I'm sure I'll be guilted into adding you.

23 comments:

tuesdaywishes said...

I have forgotten what 'sic' stands for, but it means you are reproducing the original, including mistakes and variant spellings. It means "I know this is wrong, but I'm quoting here and don't want to correct it."

Robbie said...

So how long is long enough?

Ger Tzadik said...

Seems like a sensible enough policy. I think at this point someone could start an entire blog on the topic of blogrolls and no one would blink an eye. (Heck, they'd probably be downright popular.)

I'd never heard of referer.org, that's very neat. Thanks!

Doctor Bean said...

I need to lie down. I'm feeling a little sic.

cruisin-mom said...

well, P.T...you haven't come by in awhile...don't you need to borrow a cup of sugar or something?

PsychoToddler said...

So how long is long enough?

Ah, the eternal question. But let's try to keep it clean here.

Robbie said...

ohh, so many, many jokes I could make right now.

But I won't, because I'm trying this whole "be classy, not crass" when on someone else's blog.

And by the way, you seen the weather report for the weekend yet? All snow/rain/mix all weekend...

Jack's Shack said...

So how long is long enough?

If you have to ask then you probably are a little short. ;)

PsychoToddler said...

All snow/rain/mix all weekend...

Somebody really hates me...

Irina Tsukerman said...

Better be careful.. As soon as people see what the rules are, they'll just mob your blog for days at a time, and you'll wind up with a mile-long blogroll, LOL!; )

Halfnutcase said...

i read your blog regularly, sometimes i have what to say and most of the time i don't, but it's really funny. half the time the comments are better than the post. i know that your post on going to the hospital with dr bean caused me to practicaly break a rib from laughing so hard (my mom is a doc so i can really relate to your doctor posts, i've had to go follow her for rounds at least once before, and slept in the slave quarters of a hospital (correction, residents sleeping area) at least once, not to mention countless times being woken up by the infernal sleep stealing machine called a "beeper" and listening to her talk to hystarical perents and tell them for the thousanth time, yes let them sleep it off, it will really be ok, there's nothing i can give them anyway. it's viral)

:-)

Shevy said...

Some people took their blogrolling waaay too serious.

Stacey said...

I always thought "sic" = spelled incorrectly. No?

Ayelet said...

[sic] means that you are quoting directly from the source even though you are aware there is a grammatical/spelling error. btw, I always wondered why I never made it to your blogroll. Heck, I even subscribe to your feed and read every post! I do it because you never fail to entertain me (okay, maybe not never) but I'm just wondering....

Wickwire said...

Comment. ;)

Eshet Chayil said...

Well, some of us read all the time and don't comment so often. My comments always end up sounding dumb, so I keep them to myself. I still haven't figured out how to even make a blog roll. Eh...no biggie.

parcequilfaut said...

Who'd have thought that this was the post that headlined when, after FINALLY getting my Internet back, then getting a job that, along with all my sidelines, eats ALL the time that I used to spend reading blogs (seriously...I haven't had a day free of work in three weeks, and four of the last five days I worked eleven hours) I came back by PT to say hi and I'm still here, just swamped?

I'm still here. Why don't you drop by sometimes? We miss ya. I'll even try to watch my filthy mouth.

But I'm still blogrolled, so that's somethin'. (I wonder if you ever get click-overs from me? I do from you, on occasion, but they usually don't stay. :) )

PsychoToddler said...

Obviously, if you're lurking and not leaving comments, I have no real way of knowing if you're here or how often you come around (I'm not one of those people who tries to trace IP addresses).

But I certainly don't want to make you feel unwelcome! The point of the referer list is that if you have a link to psychotoddler on your own blog and you use it to click over here, you SHOULD get an automatic reciprocol link back to your own blog.

Of course, I can tell that it doesn't work perfectly. Robbie, for example, shows up plenty of times on my sitemeter log, but for some reason isn't getting a referer link. (Maybe Referer.org thinks he's spam).

Anyway, don't take my blogroll too seriously. I'm not rating any of you. There's no magic formula. If I keep seeing your name in my comments, I will eventually get guilted into adding you.

And please don't be offended if you don't see me that often. My life has become increasingly complicated and the time I have for casual blog reading has become more and more limited. I hope that will change at some point.

Robbie said...

I am nothing more than spam.


Wow, I even get judged by computers. Fantastic.

Great show tonight. I really enjoyed it.

PsychoToddler said...

Rock 'n Roll!

Prisstopolis said...

You're currently on my blogroll which is displayed on my blogger site.(http://pr1ss.blogspot.com/)

My main site is on livejournal. (http://pr1ss.livejournal.com/)

I like LJ, but they recently managed to destroy my meager statistical success by changing the url just slightly.

blogfannishly yours,
Priss

PsychoToddler said...

I've never been able to figure out the Live Journal thing. It seems more like a message board than a website or a blog. Maybe you should use blogger more?

Kiwi the Geek said...

So how do you note that although you're quoting, you feel compelled to correct the spelling & grammatical errors? Because I usually do.