Powered by WebAds

Sunday, January 29, 2006

You Know School Vacation is Over...


...when it's time for lice checking.

I don't know if this is done elsewhere, but in our school, kids are not allowed back in class after a long vacation without being checked for lice. I'm sure there is some sound medical reasoning for this degrading process that eludes me. But for as long as I have had kids in school, my wife and I (ok so it's mostly my wife) have had to participate in this process.

Which usually goes something like this: We wait until the day before school starts, then shlep all our kids to the school, then sign up their names, and wait for someone to call them to check. Occasionally either the Mrs. or myself will do some of the checking.

One year, when Curly was around 3 (he's 12 now), he got to come along for the ride while the older kids were being checked. One woman who was checking called out, "Who wants lice checked?"

To which Curly volunteered, "I want Rice Chex!"

Crossposted at Our Kids Speak

8 comments:

Soccer Dad said...

We have it at the Bais Yaakov in Baltimore.

Tzipster91 said...

The elementary school that I went ot in gr.7&8 is the opposite - they do check after vacations, but only after school starts, and they aren't too machbid on getting every kid - I was skipped twice 9ok, so I'm at the end of the alphabetical list, so what?).

Essie said...

We had it when I was in school.

dilbert said...

I had no idea what this was until my kids hit nursery school. Thankfully, they have not asked me to be a checker(I would have to look up the picture of pediculosis humanis humanis? or something like that) as I have no idea what they look like. having two girls with long hair, we have been lucky to avoid any infestations in our home, but occassionally get notes from school, noting infractions elsewhere.

Mrs. Balabusta said...

Dilbert - Trust me, you know 'em when you see 'em.

Also, I have checked kids here and written notes for Baltimore, odd as that may sound. Also, I have received notes from Baltimore after Peseach break, it all goes by when the flight is.

Fun fun fun, and how did we ever grow up without it?

Shevy said...

I look through my almost 3 year old kids' hair. I tell him i'm looking if he has shmutz!

I haven't seen anything and I don't know what to look for.

Kiwi the Geek said...

Shevy, lice are pretty rare unless you're in a school or similar setting.

tuesdaywishes said...

My kids' school did not check after December vacation. Yesterday I got a note saying that a sibling of one of my daughter's classmates has lice, so I should please be vigilant about checking my kids. Thanks guys!

Does your head itch yet?