Powered by WebAds

Friday, July 08, 2005

Auf Simchas

It certainly has been a week for lows and highs. After the events of last weekend, what we all needed was a good wedding. And we had a really wonderful one yesterday.

Let me preface this by saying that I really hate weddings. I have my reasons. But besides those, I don’t enjoy sitting through speeches, watching the slow and endless parade of 2nd cousins and college roommates as they march down the aisle, and I’m not a big fan of separate seating. And running around in a circle with a bunch of sweaty men is not my idea of fun. Maybe if I was a better dancer… I feel much more comfortable on the bandstand than on the dance floor. I find weddings to be boring, stuffy, over-scripted affairs.

But the one last night was different on many levels. First, I absolutely love this family. The father of the bride was one of the first people I met in Milwaukee. I used to stand next to him in Shul, and we’d walk home together and discuss computers (“What do you think of the new 486s?”). This is a guy who doesn’t have 2 nickels to rub together, but you’d never know it by talking to him. He is involved in so many facets of the community and yet never calls attention to himself and never seeks honor. He’s the first guy in the shul in the morning. He’s at the Kollel until late at night. He’s in the Chevra Kadisha (burial society). He’s the guy who cleans up the Shabbos Kiddush after everyone else has gone home.

His son, the brother of the bride, was the ring bearer at my wedding when he was 3. I recall him (and his sister) being quite the psycho toddler. I remember that before marching down the aisle, his father had him run around a big room in circles over and over to tire him out so he wouldn’t walk down too fast. I mentioned this to him at the Chupa, and he smiled.

This wedding wasn’t a multi-million dollar extravaganza. Much like my own wedding, it was put together by the community. Everyone did something. My contribution was to play guitar at the ceremony. It was outside and it was hot and the sun was in my eyes and there were a lot of bugs and the singers were off key and I didn’t care. I had a great time. And no speeches!

Towards the end, one guy was handing out benchers. “Here’s one for you, Mordechai,” he said as he handed me one. The Rabbi was sitting next to me.

“Your name isn’t Mordechai.”

“No,” I said. “It’s Steve.”

Just what we all needed.

5 comments:

Jack's Shack said...

Mike,

Isn't good to know that you are loved. ;)

Wickwire said...

Boring, stuffy, over-scripted affairs, well said Steve. I love people like the father of the bride. You don't see many like that anymore.

Doctor Bean said...

Nice job, Mordechai. May the happy couple have a long healthy life together.

Shabbat shalom.

Wickwire said...

Off topic here, I don't know what the heck I did in my last post but it didn't center! It may be fixed.

Stacey said...

Sounds like a good time, great family. But then again, I love weddings...every one I've ever been to...even the redneck ones in Indiana. I can't help it. I guess I'm just a cheesy romantic.