Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Scrapbook

During my stay in New York I reminded myself of what a meticulous record-keeper my father was. Not only did he keep a detailed diary up until the late '70s, but he also created intricate scrapbooks documenting all the important events in the family. Family vacations to Washington, Florida, Virginia, are all recorded down to the minutest detail. Brochures from hotels and attractions, menus from restaurants, even an itemized expense listing, including money spent on gas, tolls, and tips. In contrast, I have no idea how much we spent on this last trip, and all the hotel brochures are in the trash.

With regards to my entry into the family, he kept and mounted the results of my Mother's pregnancy test, the letter from the hospital confirming her reservation for delivery and the estimated cost ($308 for a five day stay), all of the congratulatory cards (and how much each person gave), and the certificate of circumcision (so there! How many of YOU can prove that you're Jewish?)

He also kept all of the Father's day cards, report cards, etc. Here's a report I wrote in 1973:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

All About My Life:

What do I look like?

I have blue eyes.
And brown hair.
I am 43 inch is.
I have something on my foot.
It hurt's very much.
Yesterday I was screaming my
head off.

My wife says it sounds like what I usually write on my blog. Anyway, it was pretty cool looking through the book. After that we had a conversation where I couldn't remember which one of my kids I delivered. My wife said Daughter2, but I thought it was Son3.

So I guess that's one gene I didn't get.

20 comments:

Jack's Shack said...

I think that it is cool to still have stuff like this.

Stacey said...

Very cute. Let me guess -- is your father a Virgo?

Wickwire said...

Haha, funny report there. So what was on your foot? I agreed with your wife, it's just like your blogs. But that's the kind of writing that keeps me coming back.

PsychoToddler said...

Some thing. How should I know? It was 32 years ago!

Stacey, my dad is Sept. 16.

Essie said...

Wow! How cool to have all that! Your kids must especially love looking at stuff from your childhood.

Wickwire said...

32 years ago when you were only 43 "inch is" tall.

Mirty said...

That's odd.... Yesterday, I too was screaming my head off.

Doctor Bean said...

I'm also in the "throw everything out that you haven't used in 6 months" camp. On the other hand, I subscribe very strongly to the "under no circumstances deliver your own babies" policy. Please tell me that your wife was in labor in a stuck elevator or a train or something and this wasn't just something the two of you thought was a neat idea.

That you forgot which kid it was is totally something I would do, though.

PsychoToddler said...

Essie: My kids thought it was pretty neat, though I suspect they were also pissed off that we don't have something similar for each of them at our house.

Mirty: I guess that's why my blog has such appeal. We can all relate to the inner 6 year old.

Bean: It was not my intention to deliver the kid, but the ob was nowhere in sight and the head was coming out. Someone had to put on the catcher's mit! You'd think I'd remember it better. I must have been heavily medicated or something.

PsychoToddler said...

By the way, that was only page one of the report. I go on to describe how my sister is always trying to kiss me, how my favorite subject in school is recess ("Donnie is pretty good" I write next. Who's Donnie?), and how my parents won't let me get a pet, and that is why I don't have a doghouse.

My kids have brought home virtually the exact same report every time one of them learns to write. So I guess I'll just tell them we only need the one copy in the Vault in Queens.

Irina Tsukerman said...

Sept. 16 = Virgo. Funny thing is, your father sounds A LOT like me, and I'm not a Virgo (I'm Aries/Taurus cusp). I love amassing memories, be it school reports, pictures, or useless papers.

I think it's neat that he's preserving all these things for you. Someday, when your children grow up they'll want to take a look at their own reports as well... : )

Stacey said...

"Stacey, my dad is Sept. 16."

I knew it! I can recognize a Virgo a mile away because I am one myself. (August 31).

Doctor Bean said...

Oh, good. You weren't planning on delivering your baby but you got to be the hero in a pinch. Great jorb!

Irina & Stacey: I'm a Sagitarius, so I think astrology is complete bunk.

PsychoToddler said...

I'm a Leo, so I'm hairy and I yawn alot.

Doctor Bean said...

Oh yeah? Does Mrs. B want you to get laser hair removal?

PsychoToddler said...

I don't think so. When I told her that I wanted to shave off my beard, she told me that I have no chin so I better not.

As far as the rest of the body goes, we haven't gotten into it. Why, does BAC want me to get laser hair removal?

Doctor Bean said...

I'll ask her. Stand by.

ball-and-chain said...

No, I'll just stick to Bean getting laser hair removal. That way, he will stand out as the hairless, male-model in all groups of Jewish men. It will make it easier for me to spot him since I haven't had laser vision correction yet. No, wait, he'll still look like a Wookie.

Anne said...

43 inches? Wow. Your wife must be one happy woman. No wonder you have five kids.

PsychoToddler said...

I had laser vision correction.
It hurt very much.
I was screaming my head off.