Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 23, 2005

PT World Tour, Part 2

Parts 1 2 3 4 4.5 5

Dateline Liverpool...

...New York. What? Didn't know there was a Liverpool in NY? Neither did I. It seems to be a suburb of Syracuse. Personally, I was never enamored with the name 'Liverpool.' But apparently, many Americans are. According to Mapquest, there are 8 Liverpools across the US. Oh well. Could be worse. Could be 'Gallbladderpuddle.' By the way, you Milwaukeeans who are wondering what Liverpool is like need look no further than your own suburbs. It looks exactly like Blue Mound road in Brookfield. Basically one long strip mall, right down to the Barnes and Noble and Walmart.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We left Toronto Wednesday morning and headed southwest along Lake Ontario. Thanks to our 'traffic misadventure' the night before, we had no trouble finding the road leading away from Toronto. At Hamilton, we hooked back southeast towards Niagara Falls. So far, the drive has been very uninteresting. Michigan looks like Wisconsin, without much roadside scenery. Although there was one interesting sign that said, "Prison Area: Do not pick up hitchhikers" that I really wished I could have photographed. Ontario, on the other hand, looks like Ohio.

We reached the Falls on schedule. It actually kinda snuck up on us. All of the sudden, it was there. It was just beautiful.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This sounds terrible, but it wasn't as impressive as I had expected. I thought we were looking at the smaller falls, but actually they were the main Horseshoe Falls. I suspect that I'm getting jaded by the over-the-top images from movies like the Star Wars Prequels or that giant waterfall in Moonraker. Maybe I didn't judge the scale correctly. I looked down and saw the tour boats bobbing around at the base of the Falls, and it reminded me of my daughter playing with her toy boat in the tub with the faucet running.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My postcard picture

The area itself is a little too touristy for me. What does "Spiderman: The Ride" have to do with Niagara Falls?

We decided to take the "Journey Behind the Falls" tour, which took us down an elevator to some tunnels dug through the cliffside facing the falls and behind them. It was pretty cool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


One thing my father instilled in me was never to take "postcard" pictures. These are landscape-style pics that every tourist takes, that you can buy as postcards anyway. My dad said the guy who took the postcard picture had a better camera, so why should I waste film in my Instamatic. Some good examples are the 10 rolls of film that I shot during my trip to Israel in 1980. All mountains, valleys, and various ruins. There's only a handful of pictures of my friends and me, and those are the only ones that interest me 25 years later. So the pictures I took on this trip are mostly of my family with the Falls in the background.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After leaving Niagara, we crossed over to the US, and I could've kissed the ground, because we were back to feet and miles and adequate roadside signage. We headed down to Buffalo, where we came across something very important:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Following this, we got lost for an hour trying to find Nissim's Deli, which is pretty remarkable, because it was across the street. I guess we're getting good and getting lost for an hour. From there, we drove east to Syracuse and Liverpool, where I'm sorry to say they didn't have a computer, but it gave me more time to go over this post in my mind.

From here, we go to the Catskills and beyond...

Parts 1 2 3 4 4.5 5

8 comments:

Doctor Bean said...

I love the Homestar Runner T shirt! Oh, yeah and the falls are spectacular and your family looks great, blah blah blah... The important thing is the T shirt.

A Simple Jew said...

ahhh... Krispy Kreme. We have a kosher one by us too!

Jack's Shack said...

Your father's advice is so solid. I made the same mistake during my trip to Israel in 1985, too few pictures of friends and too many of the land.

Wickwire said...

We all must make that picture-making mistake, I did the same thing (only not in Israel). I love the family pic of your whole family w/the falls behind them. Wish you were in there too though.

Stacey said...

The pictures are awesome, only it's midnight here and guess what I'm craving? Nope, not a Krispy Kreme...but a corned beef on rye with a thick wad of chopped liver sandwiched in. YUM.

Sorry the falls disappointed you. Horseshoe falls blows away the American side.

I think the most beautiful natural sight I have ever seen was the Grand Canyon. It is awe-inspiring and just all around amazing.

PsychoToddler said...

I'd love to see the Grand Canyon. I'm thinking I should go west next year.

PsychoToddler said...

Bean: I wore that tee shirt when I made rounds on July 4 and everyone thought I was being patriotic.

elvir said...

"The area itself is a little too touristy for me. What does "Spiderman: The Ride" have to do with Niagara Falls?"

-- so true! Things don't always make sense in circus city!