Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Nothing Changes

My hospital census has decreased to the point where I can now make it to the morning minyan for the first time in about 8 months. This is not necessarily a good thing, but it's nice to be able to make minyan again. Despite my long absence, it appears nothing has changed. The same routine greeted me the first day back:

About halfway through the service, an old man comes up from the Mikveh. Older Man #2 turns around, looks at him and kvetches out, "It's about time you got here. Did you fall asleep down there?"

To which Old Man #1 replies, "You don't like it? There's the door!"

Same routine every day, verbatum. Today there was a slight variation, perhaps in honor of my presence. This time, after OM#1 gave his reply, he turned to me and said, "Right, Steve?" He calls me Steve. I don't know why, because my name is Mark. "Tell him, Steve." To which I dutifully replied: "Yeah, you don't like it, there's the door."

Ah, Tradition!

1 comment:

PsychoToddler said...

Ahhh..."an old man's minyan"; aren't they the best kind -- the most colorful, the most dynamic, the best herring and schnapps, and sometimes the most welcoming. My husband davened at one when he moved to Toronto; I joined him at that "shul" when we first married and lived nearby. My memories of it are good ones.
Pearl | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 12:54 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It reminds me of my father-in-law....
The first shabbos we spent together
as a newlywed couple he had this tradition on Fri nights. He would
announce that he's making kiddush and
that it's a mitzvah D'areysah.Now whenever we have a Fri night meal together he always makes this same announcement and nods at me to respond that it's a "mitzvah dareysah".
shloimy | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 2:00 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Both hands palms up, like a balance scale, alternately raising one and lowering the other]

Hmmmm.... see hospital patients or go to morning minyan, see hospital patients or go to morning minyan. It's a toughy. Put lemon juice in my paper cuts or sprinkle salt in my eyes... Hmmm....
Doctor Bean | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 3:00 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, did you think sleeping in was an option? The PT is up crowing with the crack of dawn!
psychotoddler | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 3:09 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL. I guess you look like a "Steve" - that's usually considered a good thing.
http://www.sonyclassics.com/taoo...eve/ above4.html
Mirty | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 3:29 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the guy from I love the _0's! He's great! Is he "Steve"?
psychotoddler | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 3:38 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tao of Steve" is a great movie.
Doctor Bean | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 4:32 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old men and their shtussim! My late Saba used to daven at a shtiebel where this could have happened. the average age there was 73, on a good day!!
Kiki | Homepage | 06.05.05 - 2:36 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's something very...comfortable about the minyan. Crotchety old men and all. I hope to be a crotchety old man one day.
psychotoddler | Homepage | 06.05.05 - 11:04 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, it's not an "old man" minyan. It's technically a "working man's" minyan which starts at 5:45 am. That I usually don't make it says more about my nutty working hours than anything else.
psychotoddler | Homepage | 06.07.05 - 11:48 am | #