Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Comment about Comments

Three months ago, fed up with the buggy Blogger comment system, I installed Haloscan comments on Psycho Toddler. For the most part it's worked out well. It's been faster and more reliable than the native blogger comments. However, I've decided to eliminate Haloscan and go back to Blogger commenting. The primary reason for this is the fact that Haloscan flushes comments that are older than 4 months, unless you pay them a yearly fee. Since I have always felt that the comments that you guys leave are much more interesting than the posts that I write, I really thought it would be a shame if they were to disappear. It would be like listening to half of a phone conversation (which I do all the time, and so I can tell you from first-hand experience that it's really not that interesting). Also, I'm satisfied that Blogger has fixed most of the problems that it was having in March.

Fear not. Those of you who have left your best work in the little Haloscan pop-ups on this page will not have toiled in vain. I have cut and pasted the majority of the comments into Blogger comments, so, although they aren't interactive, and they look like they were all written by me (and got me locked out of my blog for comment spamming--hopefully that's not permanent), they are still here for all to enjoy. Pearl.

Oh, and I know there were a few of you who were afraid to come out of the closet with Blogger, and were more comfortable with Haloscan (which doesn't require registration). I hope you will continue to comment anyway. I really enjoy hearing from you. Especially the people that I used to know, or that I actually still know but never talk to in real life, or whatever. Just register with Blogger and give them a fake email address or something. I won't tell a soul.

12 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Actually you don't need to register in order to comment. There's an option to allow anonymous comments.

Stacey said...

Glad you changed back to Blogger comments. I was going to email you that for the past few days I've had intermittenet trouble with your Haloscan. I've only been able to open and post comments like half the time. Several other haloscan blogs out there have been having the same problem lately.

Shira Salamone said...

Commenters are an unpredictable bunch. *You* publish a post about *your* anniversary and get over 20 comments. *I* publish a post about *my* anniversary and get exactly zilch. Ya think maybe if I get me one o' them thar digital cameras an' figgur out how ta post a shot of *my* fine-lookin' spouse on *my* blog, somebody might actually notice?

Doctor Bean said...

Resistance is futile. You have been assimiliated into the collective. We are all at one with blogger. Blogger is good. Blogger is good.

Doctor Bean said...

Um. Seriously, though. How about enabling comments on a pop-up window, so that you can read comments in a seperate window while the main window stays on the main page? That way you can easily browse different posts on the same page and not switch the main window to look at comments. Am I making sense?

Jack's Shack said...

I like it. Whichever works best for you.

PsychoToddler said...

Bean: I do have it set to view comments in a popup window, but apparently, at least for this template, that only happens when you try to post a comment. I wonder if there's something I can tinker with in the template itself...

Better not. Could end up destroying life as we know it.

Irina: I'm going to allow anonymous comments for now. My experience with them in the past has been not so good.

Anonymous said...

never fear. your secret is safe with me!

AMSHINOVER said...

Hey look it's me I'm here wow,cool?

PsychoToddler said...

"never fear. your secret is safe with me!"

Great. This is why I hate anonymous comments. Gimme a clue guys (or gals it's hard to tell).

Jack's Shack said...

It wasn't me.

treppenwitz said...

I finally caved and signed up for a blogger account just to have a way to leave comments on people's blogs who don't allow anonymous comments. It was relatively painless.

/boringcomment