Powered by WebAds

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Different Perspectives

I went to see Star Wars last night with my wife and 15 year-old son. As we entered the theater, I wanted to sit up front, but my wife prevailed upon me to sit more in the middle. My son got up and sat way in the back. He said he had a better view from up there.

Maybe this reflects how much things have changed in the movie business. To me, movies are meant to be seen in theatres, on huge screens that stretch farther than the eye can see. You need to sit up close and get swallowed up by the picture, until it is all that you can see, and you feel like you're inside the movie.

My son, on the other hand, has seen the vast majority of his movies on small television screens. He's used to being able to take in the whole picture in one glance. This is compounded by my proclivity to buy only widescreen versions of films, again, to capture the cinematic feel of the films, but which ends up making the picture even smaller on a TV. My son can't relate to a huge movie screen where he would have to turn his head to follow the action.

I wonder if it has any other significance?

2 comments:

ifuncused said...

As an early fathers day gift, I took my husband last week..something we both needed (to get out w/o the kids)
Now I need to watch the other star wars to understand what happened....go figure.
As for movies, I only really started to go after I got engaged...the last time I was in a theater before that was...carebears. SO I can't understand it either. THough movies like this are meant to be seen on huge screens.

ifuncused said...

As an early fathers day gift, I took my husband last week..something we both needed (to get out w/o the kids)
Now I need to watch the other star wars to understand what happened....go figure.
As for movies, I only really started to go after I got engaged...the last time I was in a theater before that was...carebears. SO I can't understand it either. THough movies like this are meant to be seen on huge screens.