Powered by WebAds

Friday, April 08, 2005

Kol Ha-Ipanema

Now that I have replaced my stolen car stereo with one that plays MP3s, I decided to put together an actual MP3 disk. I've come surprisingly late to the MP3 party. Although I've been making and posting MP3s pretty much since they were invented, I've never really listened to them. That's because I've finally come to the realization that I only listen to music in my car. I don't listen at work, I don't sit around and listen at home, and I can't eat when there's music playing (must be why I hate weddings). I had thought about getting an iPod, but then the logistics come into play. Where do I put it? I don't want another gadget on my Bat-utility belt. I'm afraid I'll leave it somewhere (oh, to be manly enough to carry a purse or "European carryall" unselfconsciously). And I don't want to fiddle with FM transmitters and other nonsense. So the CD/MP3 player is a good compromise for me.

So I went downstairs to my old computer, where the .wav files for all my albums are stored, and I made MP3s out of the lot of them. So now, instead of juggling 10-15 CDs with studio, live, bootlegs, demos, etc, I have one CD with 700mb worth of Moshe Skier Music. I call it "Skier Songs". There are many versions of the same song, but no copies. 5 or 6 Hafachtas. That sort of thing.

Interestingly, I didn't even listen to this stuff when I made the MP3s. So I'm hearing alot of this for the first time in many years. I've got stuff going back to 1985, plus tons of concert bootlegs from the late 90's and early 00's. To be honest, most of it is crap. But there are a few gems in there.

For example, I did a show in 2001 at the Sherman Perk, a coffee house down the street from me. It's a very...intimate environment, so we toned down the music quite a bit. For this show, we didn't just play the heavy metal on "2". We changed the arrangements. Heres one: A version of Kol Haolam Kulo (The world is a narrow bridge) done with a twist. Compare it to the version at The Note in 2004. Enjoy. Just make sure you get off when it stops on your floor. Here's another one.

No comments: