Powered by WebAds

Monday, November 15, 2004

Please Don't Feed the Chassidim

A few Shabboses ago I arrived in Shul to the sight of about 100 non-Jews piling out of the Women's balcony and moving to the small sanctuary. I knew they were non-Jews because there were quite a few more skin tone variations than in our usual crowd, they were all wearing street clothes instead of black suits and long dresses, and they had little name tags on that said, "I'm not Jewish." (not really).

The real tip-off though, is that they were exceptionally quiet. No talking. In fact, I didn't even know they were there until they began their mass exodus out of the balcony. I found out eventually that they were a group of Lutherans who were "studying" us for some kind of cultural affair.

Everytime I start to think that I'm pretty normal, something like this has to happen, and then I realize that to most people out there, I must be some kind of weird space alien.

At least no one threw peanuts. Because there's a sign that says, "No nuts in the Shul."

2 comments:

WBS said...

When you see a non-White person in your shul (and community), do you always assume (first) that they aren't Jewish?

PsychoToddler said...

Actually, no. My post said there were "more" skin tone variations. We've had Black, Hispanic, even Asian Jews in the shul. But they usually follow the dress code and don't wear the big name tags.