Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Linkage

I've been going back and forth with Dov Bear in personal correspondence about whether or not he should be on my links list. I try not to get political on this blog, so it might be appropriate to question whether I should link to someone who has an such an obvious political agenda.

Through our trading of emails I've come to the conclusion that he's more than just a troll, seeking to get reaction to his inflammatory posts. I think he's trying to show that there are other facets to Orthodox Judaism. That we don't all think one way and vote one way. And he's occasionally entertaining when he's not being mean-spirited.

Looking back on my own posts, I think that I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, in a more soft-spoken and refined way, of course ;-)

I'll probably make a separate post about this in the future, but this blog shows that being Orthodox doesn't restrict you to a particular dress style, prayer style, occupation, or musical preference. We are individuals, and each of us has many potential talents and interests, and we are all capable of contributing.

This is true of many of the other blogs that I link to, so in this way, my link to Dov Bear is consistent.



But if he calls me a stupid pig farmer one more time, he's outta here!

15 comments:

DovBear said...

Thank you PT.

As soon as I work up the guts to mess with my template, I'll put you on mine.

DB

AMSHINOVER said...

So nice, the farmer and the bear, the farmer and the bear ,hiho the merry oh pt raises pigs?

PsychoToddler said...

All midwesterners raise pigs, didn't you know that?

AMSHINOVER said...

No ,but all New Yawkas aspire to be pigs.
(ps im not thefreshview just a obsessive fan)

Jack's Shack said...

PT,

Allow me to be the first to say that I really appreciate your approach. You know from our contact that in my experience I have been somewhat wary of the motives of some members of Orthodoxy and it is nice to speak with someone who acts like a mensch.

Mirty said...

Menschlichkeit is always nice. I'd be honored to be on your links and will put you on mine either way. We could have a Texas-Milwaukee link thing. Links are good with Shiner beer, which we brew in Texas. Y'all brew beer in Milwaukee, see how it all links up?

Mirty said...

Dov, try Blogroller - makes maintaining links much easier.

http://www.blogrolling.com

GoldaLeah said...

So what is required for a link? Begging? Bribery? :)

PsychoToddler said...

Money is always appreciated.

Ezzie said...

I just linked to this through DB's home page... I doubt you'll ever see this, but if you do...

I find it interesting that you had this dilemma - I had a similar one, also in regards to linking to DovBear, for slightly different reasons. In the end, I too linked to him. And to think, you linked to me even though I didn't give money!

By the way, when I was in WITS, the favorite pasttime was cow-tipping :) Too bad nobody had any cows on the East Side.

Out of curiousity, do you have a way of knowing when someone posts a comment on your blog? If so, how?! I'd love to know when someone comments on mine without having to remember how many comments there used to be whenever I go to my blog. Thanks!

PsychoToddler said...

Yes, through the blogger dashboard there is a way to enter an email address that new comments will be forwarded to.

Dov used to give me a hard time over at Baynonim's old blog, but I didn't take it personally ;-)

He didn't like the fact that I accepted some of my Rabbi's minhagim vis a vis sukkot. At least in shul.

Ezzie said...

Hmmm... I have that activated, and I get sent comments - but only if the person is signed in as a blogger user, not if they're anonymous or from outside blogger. Thanks, though.

"At least in shul" - ?

PsychoToddler said...

Look here and follow the relevant links.

I think 'anonymous' is Dovie but I never bothered pursuing it with him. It's certainly consistant with his style and his viewpoint.

Either way, I care more about achdus than which way you wave your lulav.

And 'at shul' means that I still teach my kids the ashkenazic naanuim at home.

Ezzie said...

Got it. Interesting discussion... and I'd agree with you 100% - achdus is a lot more important than fights over minhagim.

My father-in-law always likes to say: If people would just respect other people's decisions to pasken according to their own rabbonim (within reason), the world would be a far better place. People need to learn that not everyone has the same minhagim, holds by the same psak in every instance, etc. - they've asked their rabbonim (hopefully) and this is the answer they got; or perhaps they just don't know better. No matter the reason, we should respect them. Bein adam l'chavero comes before l'makom anyway.

ha - brings back the Dr. Seuss quote: "Be yourself, because the people who care don't matter, and the people who matter don't care."

Anonymous said...

I believe it's "mind", not "care".