Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Better luck next time, kid

We were at the music store last week when my daughter came out from her guitar lesson. She found me in my usual spot, perched atop a stool in front of a large stack of amplifiers, fooling around with the fretless bass. She began looking at the electric guitars and various effects pedals.

She was followed by a man, slightly older than me, and his son, slightly younger than my daughter. The kid wanted to try out some electric guitars. As the area was small, I got up and moved to the other side of the stack with my daughter, to give them room to shop. Of course, we couldn't help but overhear the whole exchange.

Seems the boy was showing some progress in his lessons, and wanted a better guitar. The father was more than happy to comply, and was asking the rather young-looking salesman about the various types of guitars, in a way that suggested that he himself didn't play.

"What's a 'telocaster'?"
"That's what Springsteen plays."
"We don't like Springsteen, do we, son?"
"No, Sir."

"What's the difference between the guitars hanging behind the counter and the rest of them?"
About a thousand dollars, I thought, almost out loud.

It seemed clear he was intent on getting something really good, which to him (and the clerk) meant really expensive. I took a little pity on the man, and volunteered:

"You can't go wrong with a Strat." You can't spend too much, either.
"Thank you, sir," he replied.

The store clerk showed him some high-end Stratocasters.
"We don't care how much it costs. I want him to have something good."

My daughter looked at me, suppressing a smirk.

"Looks like you were born into the wrong family, kid."

I put the fretless bass back on the wall, too.

2 comments:

Jack's Shack said...

I always wanted to learn how to play, but never did.

PsychoToddler said...

My daughter's giving lessons now. Can you come to Milwaukee?