Powered by WebAds

Monday, October 18, 2004

Murray's Bagels

My neighbor, who is not Jewish, returned last night from a trip to New York City. He stopped by to drop off a big bag of Bagels from Murray's. My first reaction was, "I can't believe you shlepped this huge bag of...incredible smelling...bagels all the way on the plane back from NY!" My second reaction was, "Murray's...are they kosher?"

I never know what to do in these situations. The last thing I want to do is tell him, "Thanks, but I can't eat these." Staff and patients occasionally bring me stuff that they bake. "I used only kosher/natural ingredients, so you can eat it, right?" Sooner or later I have to let them down. Otherwise it keeps happening.

Anyway I thanked my neighbor profusely for thinking of me and accepted the bagels. Man, that's one think I hate about the Midwest...you CANNOT get a good kosher bagel. With the tough exterior and soft interior.

If anyone knows if Murray's Bagels in the Village is kosher, email me stat! Before they get stale or my wife gives them away!

5 comments:

Anne said...

No idea if they're kosher, but here's their phone number:

Murray's Bagels. 500 Sixth Ave., between 12th and 13th streets (tel. 212/462-2830)

You can always slice them and freeze them. Good bagels like that will freshen right up in the microwave.

PsychoToddler said...

My wife gave them away :-(

Anne said...

Do either you or your wife enjoy baking? I have at least one bagel recipe floating around.

PsychoToddler said...

Let's put it this way. 2 days before Rosh Hashana, the local "bakery" told us they had too many orders and couldn't guarantee they'd have our Challahs. She stayed up all night baking.

Post it.

Anne said...

I have two recipes and both are entirely too long to post.

I'll type them up and email them to you. Look for them early next week.

Cheers.