Powered by WebAds

Thursday, September 09, 2004

MOChassid closes shop

One of my favorite bloggers, MOChassid, has decided to take a break from blogging. The decision seems to have stemmed from a particularly nasty discussion on Chassidus that went on in the comments for one of his posts.

This has always been something that has bothered me about the internet, whether it be newsgroups (in the good old days), websites, and now blogs.
The anonymity that is afforded by this medium strips people of their inhibitions to keep the discussion civil. We're not face to face with our adversaries anymore. They know nothing about us, not our names, not where we live, not what we look like. And as a result we write things, in public, that we would never say to or about other people in the real world.

I try to keep this blog positive and lighthearted (except when I rant about the Middle East), and I think in these days before Rosh Hashana we all should take a deep breath, relax, and understand that whether or not we mention names or know the people we rag on, they still are affected by what we write, and we will still be held accountable for it.

MO, whatever your name is, I'm going to miss you. I may not have always agreed with your opinions, but I found you to be an insightful and entertaining writer. And a good source of Mussar, too.

A happy and healthy New Year to you.

1 comment:

MoChassid said...

PT

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I have been thinking about this for a while. I will post my closing thoughts later today in response to a lot of nice comments that have been coming in.