Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The "Can I help you?" riff

I'm working on my "Can I help you?" riff.
For those of you not versed in the wisdom of Wayne's World, that's the musical line that you play when you pick up a guitar in the music store that invariably leads to an employee coming up to you to ask, "Can I help you?"

I've been listening to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I'm teaching myself the bass line for "Higher Ground". Lotsa slapping. Slapping's not really my thing, but that's because I've never been good at it. I did teach myself to Pop and Slap when I played with Sam Glaser a few years ago, and I was rewarded with a sore thumb for a few weeks.

But I've found that the only thing that really impresses the people at the music store is Slapping. And the key to getting them to allow me to fool around on the basses there (without buying one) is to keep them impressed, so....I'll try it out tonight.

No comments: