Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Not Bad

I heard a cut from the soon-to-be released Christie McVie Album. As the DJ announced it, I prepared for the worst.
But it was actually...not bad.

Not good.
Just not bad.

And I decided that this was a victory for Ms. McVie. Because I truly expected it to suck.
I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan, and I've always liked her work. But it seems like everytime a big recording artist from the 70's comes out of retirement to release a new album...it SUCKS. Either it sounds exactly like what they did before, but lacks any innovation or energy, or it's totally different, and disappoints because you expect it to sound the same. Usually it's overproduced.

I think this is a result of high expectations meeting chronically low performance, ending up with lower standards.

Either that or I'm just getting old.

Here's another sign of getting old:
Whenever I hear a new band that I like, I soon realize that it's because it sounds like an old band that I like.

(spellchecker wants to replace Fleetwood with Flathead)

3 comments:

MoChassid said...

I am approximately your age. You are getting old.

I think the phenomenon you refer to is similar to the 'shiny shoe effect'. why are these people putting out music in their 50s and 60s? With few exceptions, they have long since used up all their creative energy; it stands to reason that what comes out will be mediocre, at best.

Jason Mulgrew said...

hilarious!

love,
jason mulgrew
internet quasi-celebrity

PsychoToddler said...

I hate to think that only people in their teens or twenties are capable of writing good music.

I think I'm a much better musician now than I was 20 years ago. But I wrote better stuff then. ?more time on my hands?